Molly Fletcher, a former author and sports agent has put together her top tips on how to successfully negotiate anything from an initial job offer, to the opportunity for career development. She suggested that it is a five step process and if you follow this simple strategy, getting what you want should come easily. To see what these steps are and how you can incorporate them into your own situation, take a look at the slideshow below.
- It’s easiest to negotiate a fair salary once you have received a job offer. Make sure that you have done your research beforehand and have an idea of what a reasonable salary for similar roles in your industry is. You can find this out on the internet or through colleagues/friends who work in the industry.
- If you’re unemployed or have only recently graduated, don’t allow this to be the main focus when negotiating a job offer. Emphasise the skills that you can bring to the role and why you would be a valuable asset to the company. You should show that you are not in a hurry settle for just any deal.
- To negotiate career progression, demonstrate how your development can benefit the company and why it would be to their advantage to give you a promotion. After all, it’s less costly to progress their existing staff’s careers than to hire externally.
- An effective method for negotiating is to pause after asking a question, rather than to carry on talking as you may distract from the issue. This technique has been taken from the media, as it requires the person to answer that question alone.
- If you receive a “no” to your negotiation, try to see it from their point of view. Do let them know that you are not happy with the terms; but ask if you could possibly revisit the conversation at a later date, on the basis that you achieve certain targets or standards.
- The core of negotiation is the same in professional life, as in personal life. Be prepared and have the courage to ask for what you want.
Felix.ie are a top recrutiment agency Dublin specialising in It Jobs & Sales Jobs.
Call us today on 01-9022506 or visit www.felix.ie