It is only normal that you go out for work drinks to bond with your colleagues and let loose after a long and tiring week at work.
You all have a couple of glasses of wine and the conversation starts flowing. However, your first work drinks can be confusing as you need to establish some boundaries. You come to the realisation that you are no longer at university and drinks should not be considered as ‘LETS GET DRUNK’. You are also just establishing your work relationships, so you need to carefully think about your topics of conversation.
How do you know how to act, what to drink and what to say? You don’t and a million things are running through your head. So, here are the 12 things that go through your head at your first work drinks. A little piece of advice, stay away from the shots!
1. To drink or not to drink, that is the question.
Orange juice vs. vodka orange, the competition is heating up.
2. I think I will stick to wine, because I am the classy type.
Wine is a lady’s drink and I am a lady.
3. Everyone else is having vodka, maybe I should step up my game.
4. Remember, your boss is watching you, act cool.
Did we just make awkward eye contact? Is he staring at me or my drink?
5. 5 glasses of wine down, I am feeling slightly tipsy.
Was it 5? Or 7? I lost count after 3.
6. Did I just tell them about the time I got arrested at university?
Did I actually just say that? I didn’t plan that.
7. Maybe they thought I was joking.
Yeah, lets go with that theory.
8. ‘Then my mum said, no I will not collect you from the police station’.
Clearly it is not a joke. STOP TALKING.
9. I can’t see out of my right eye.
10) Why are they offering me more drinks?
I NEED WATER.
11) ‘Hi mum, can you pick me up?’
This escalated quickly.
12) Tomorrow is going to be awkward.
About Casey Fleischmann
Casey Fleischmann is an Account Executive at Link Humans and loves cookies.